Friday, May 30, 2008

Thursday 5/29

Today is Savannah's 10th birthday !! I can't believe it ! She made cupcakes with Grandma K. last night so she took them all to school today. This would be the first year she was still in school for her birthday. Usually school lets out right before her birthday. So this was exciting for her.
Bill took her to Beef's tonight for dinner. Also, Abbie, Sandy, Cindy, Noah, Cindy, Alexa, Alyssa, Madisyn, Thomas, Bobby and Micheal went. She was surprised. Sandy got her a Hannah Montana cake. She got money to help out with her Girl Scout camp this summer and some stuffed animals.
After dinner, every body stopped by the house to say hi ! Me and moma were home with Sydney, and the house was quiet - oh well !
Another day of healing for me. Still sore but still cancer free !!
Sydney is another story -- this kid is so funny. Her thing right now is giving "lips". She puckers up those big chunky lips and comes running toward you for a kiss. She is good to entertain herself. She has started using Tessa as her own personal bench. She will walk over to Tessa and just sit down. Tessa lays there and takes it. Sydney follows her big sis around and wants to be with her all the time. Sometimes it drives Savannah crazy, but all in all, she loves it.

Ok, back to me. I saw both the Dr. Hechtmans today. Dr. Jill was very happy with my incision, I show minor swelling and she confirmed that Doug was benign. Dr. Jason read the pathology reports to me, and I was surprised! There were masses as big as 4 cm. found in the breast tissue that he removed. I asked him how long he thought I had cancer and he said "a while."
Studies show that being on the pill, being pregnant and breast feeding are all things that reduce your risk for breast cancer. In my heart, I think Sydney saved my life, or at least prolonged it.
Think about it -- if I had cancer "a while" -- I wasn't due for a mammogram until I turned 35 years old. I got pregnant with her right before I turned 34. And, I breast fed. So, just maybe, by being pregnant and by breastfeeding, the rate at which the cancer reproduced was slowed down. There is no way at 33 or 34 years old I would have gotten a mammogram, so something had to slow it down until it was time for my cancer to be found, right ? We will never really know when it began or the answer to that question, but that is what I am going to believe.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Glad you're recovering and cancer-free! You remain in my thoughts - lots of love!